Mixed age classes are common in schools and with 5 classes at Sparsholt Primary School and 7 year groups, classes are re-organised each year to avoid one class being larger than another.
The principles that the senior leadership team take into account when making professional decisions about which children are in each class are as follows:
- Maturity and independence of each individual.
- Additional support needs of each child.
- Keeping class sizes near to 30
To ensure that there are opportunities for the whole year group to be together we plan specific activities and events;
- Certain curriculum lessons taught in year groups
- Shared enrichment opportunities eg trips, talks, sporting events.
- Worship groups and Worship planning groups
- Sports Leader activities.
- SCARF Life Bus